Sunday, March 17, 2013

Confusion Through Clear Ideas


There are certain statements that don’t really make much sense. They appear o contradict each other or show the opposite of the first thing that was said, right after it was said. Suddenly you feel confused and try to make sense of said statement. You read it once, twice, three times, trying to make sense of it. As you keep reading you start nodding your head as if you finally understand what is being said but then you read it again and understand nothing. These statements are antithetical statements.

Antithetical statements show a sort of opposite reasoning. It’s as if the meaning of one part will become clearer with the opposite force. It’s confusing huh? To add to the fun, chapters O, P and Q of Reality Hunger were filled with these quirky little statements. Some stood out more to me than others for their antitheticalness (not a real word):

“Great art is clear thinking about mixed feelings” (pg. 136, Shields)

Basically, how can you think clearly about something that is mixed? In art there is an importance for the abstract of a situation and for the obscureness of it. The idea has to be clear about what you are creating whether it is with a painting or a song, before you put the mixed feeling into it. The artist could also understand what seems complex to the rest of the world and creates mixed feelings on the person viewing the art.

“There’s nothing and everything going on.” (pg. 137, Shields)

…Okay? Well, sure we have been in this situation. For example right now as I write this blog. If my dad came in and asked me what’s going on, I would probably say “nothing”. The reality though is that there is a lot going on. I am writing this blog as I listen to music, am trying not to fall off my bed, and thinking about the other homework I have to do. Appearances can be deceiving in this sense that, I might say nothing knowing that there is a whole lot more than nothing going on.

“We’re only certain (“certain only”) about what we don’t understand.” (pg. 138, Shields)

This one is a little easier to understand. Sometimes we run into that person who just won’t accept they are wrong. Even in the topics they have no idea about ,they have an opinion and simply babble on about whatever is being discussed. On another hand, we know the things we don’t understand. We always have doubts about those things we do understand or are trying to add to them. Yet, with those things we are certain of we are more vulnerable. Instead when we are sure we are uncertain about something there is not much to go on. I am pretty sure I don’t understand the curtain industry. I know I don’t know anything about it and that is something I am absolutely certain about.

These antithetical statements are tied with reality. Reality can be paradoxical because there are just so many of them. My reality is very different to those who read this. It’s as if reality is what you make it and there is not one certain way to view it. I feel this quote from the book summarizes it pretty well:

“- the chronic American belief that there exists an opposition between reality and mind and one must enlist oneself in the party of reality” (pg. 146, Shields)

There's not one sole party for reality and the mind, rather your mind shapes your reality, and that is a private party.

No comments:

Post a Comment